Dorna UK and MCRCB Events Ltd, the promoter and organisers of the National Superstock Championship have appointed Metzeler Racetec as the official tyre and title sponsors of the 2005 National Superstock Championship and National Superstock Cup.
The decision to implement an official tyre supplier was taken at the conclusion of a tender process involving four manufacturers and following the results of a teams and riders survey conducted during the 2004 Championship season which asked questions specifically relating to tyre supply and usage.
The official tyre will be the Metzeler Racetec dry and wet weather products, as used with great sucess by the 2004 National Superstock Champion, Danny Beaumont.
The key criteria and objectives of the official tyre supply are to provide an improved financial situation for riders and teams and to supply a high quality product available on equal terms.
In summary the following forms the main elements of the official tyre supply arrangement:
- A maximum of 3 sets of dry tyres may be used during the qualifying practices, warm up and the race (no restriction during free practice).
- The tyre price is fixed at £145.00 plus VAT per set. (Wet or Dry product).
- In the event of changeable weather conditions a product exchange system will operate to avoid unnecessary expense.
- Tyre distribution will be strictly controlled by Metzeler in conjunction with the series organisers using unique methods of identification.
- A bonus scheme will apply in both the National Superstock Championship and the National Superstock Cup, as follows;
At each race:
- 1st - 2 Rear Tyres + 2 Front Tyres
- 2nd - 2 Rear Tyres + 1 Front Tyre
- 3rd - 1 Rear Tyre + 1 Front Tyre
Additionally, at each event in both the National Superstock Championship and the National Superstock Cup there will be a Metzeler Racetec Superstock Rider of the Day Award to be chosen by the series commentator and a representative from Metzeler who will each receive one set of tyres.
Carl Bushell, Director of Metzeler Moto UK commented "Metzeler UK are very pleased to have reached this agreement with both Dorna and MCRCB-Events, in turn helping them to achieve their aim of allowing all teams to compete on equal terms irrespective of budget available. The Racetec product, already the Championship winning tyre in 2004, is a natural choice and ensures that for 2005 all riders will be able to use the same top-level tyres and we are sure that the Superstock Championships will go from strength to strength."
Tony Partis, Managing Director of Dorna UK added, "The Superstock class with its high level of both quantity and quality of riders delivered fantastic racing in 2004, and this new relationship with Metzeler and their excellent product will further enhance it, as well as significantly, providing riders and teams with an opportunity to race on equal terms with cost benefits."
The Metzeler Racetec National Superstock Championship will support all thirteen events of the 2005 British Superbike Championship.
- Round 1 - March 26/27/28, Brands Hatch, Kent
- Round 2 - April 8/9/10, Thruxton, Hampshire
- Round 3 - April 22/23/24, Mallory Park, Leicestershire
- Round 4 - April 30/May 1/2, Oulton Park, Cheshire
- Round 5 - May 13/14/15, Mondello Park, Ireland (Championship class only)
- Round 6 - June 3/4/5, Croft, North Yorkshire
- Round 7 - June 24/25/26, Knockhill, Fife
- Round 8 - July 8/9/10, Snetterton, Norfolk
- Round 9 - July 22/23/24, Oulton Park, Cheshire
- Round 10 - August 19/20/21, Silverstone, Northamptonshire
- Round 11 - August 27/28/29, Cadwell Park, Lincolnshire (Cup class double header)
- Round 12 - September 9/10/l1, Brands Hatch, Kent
- Round 13 - September 23/24/25, Donington Park, Leicestershire
For more news, visit www.superbike-news.co.uk