WSB Winston Ten Kate Honda Qatar Testing - February 20th 2005
News Archives | WSB
Results | Supermoto Results | British
Superbike Results | MotoGP Results |
The flu that dogged Chris Vermeulen on yesterday's first day of the official World Superbike test at Doha, Qatar spread to his team-mate Karl Muggeridge today, as Japanese rider Yukio Kagayama set the pace prior to next Saturday's opening championship round.
The Winston Ten Kate Honda pair struggled for fitness on their Honda CBR1000RRs on the 5.38km Losail circuit and Vermeulen was able to add only 22 laps to the 17 he completed yesterday. Muggeridge, meanwhile, succumbed to the virus himself and sat out today's morning session.
"Some riders have done well over 100 laps, but I've barely done 40," said Vermeulen, "and I've struggled to do those. I know there's more to come but only when I'm feeling better. The circuit's good and the bike has had a lot more to offer than I've had over the last two days. It'll be different when we're back here on Thursday."
Team-mate Muggeridge agreed, saying: "It's frustrating - we've basically lost today because I've been feeling so rough and that's not what you need when you're getting used to a new bike and a new circuit. But it's next weekend that matters and that's what we'll be working towards after I spend the next couple of days in bed."
Winston Ten Kate Honda team manager, Ronald ten Kate, was philosophical about the lack of track time for his two superbike riders. "We may be two days behind the rest here," he said, "but we only need to be a tenth of a second ahead at the end of next Saturday's two races. The bikes are capable of quicker times than we've achieved so far, but so are the riders when they're fully fit."
Losail Circuit - Doha, Qatar, day two combined times (World Superbike):
- 1.Yukio Kagayama, JAP (Suzuki) - total 102 laps, 2m01.480s
- 2.Troy Corser, AUS (Suzuki) - 101 laps, 2:01.554
- 3.Jose Luis Cardoso, ESP (Yamaha)- 86 laps, 2:01.797
- 4.Regis Laconi, FRA (Ducati) - 118 laps, 2:01.827
- 5.Sébastien Gimbert, FRA (Yamaha) - 113 laps, 201.951
- 6.Ivan Silva Alberola, ESP (Yamaha) - 127 laps, 2:02.194
- 7.Chris Walker, GBR (Kawasaki) - 91 laps, 2:02.442
- 8. Marco Borciani, ITA (Yamaha) - 96 laps, 2:02.548
- 9.Noriyuki Haga, JAP (Yamaha) - 98 laps, 2:02.591
- 10.James Toseland, GBR (Ducati) - 85 laps, 2:02.639
- 15.Chris Vermeulen, AUS (Winston Ten Kate Honda) - 39 laps, 2:03.072
- 17. Karl Muggeridge, AUS (Winston Ten Kate Honda) - 68 laps, 2:03.391