GoogleCustom Search

BSB - Haydon withdraws from Mallory Park races - June 3rd 2006


News Archives | WSB Results | British Superbike Results | MotoGP Results |

    After suffering painful injuries in a high-speed crash at Mallory Park yesterday, Rizla Suzuki's James Haydon has withdrawn from the races at the sixth round of the Bennetts British Superbike Championship to give himself time to heal before the next round in two week's time.

    After crashing on the entrance to the first corner at 110mph, James was referred to Leicester Royal Infirmary for x-rays that revealed no broken bones but significant soft tissue damage to his left shoulder, forearm and fingers. He was passed fit to ride by the British Superbike series doctor Toby Branfoot this morning and completed 11-laps in practice before deciding to withdraw from the races.

    James said: "I tried riding with my shoulder strapped and some modifications made to my Rizla Suzuki to try and make it as comfortable as possible this morning. Pushing as hard as I dared, I recorded a 58.1second lap and after the session was in a lot of pain.

    "My injuries wouldn't allow me to ride any faster and looking at the competition, it meant I was unlikely to score points if I raced tomorrow. With that in mind, I consulted with my team and decided discretion is the better part of valor and withdrew from the races to focus on getting better for the next round of the Championship in two week's time at Snetterton. I didn't want to aggravate the injury anymore by riding this weekend and knew it could be dangerous to continue.

    "I am bitterly disappointed not to be racing but genuinely believe I have made the correct decision. I sincerely hope I have used up all my bad luck in the first half of the season. Hopefully this couple of week break will help and I am looking forward to competing at the front from Snetterton onwards."

    Rizla Suzuki team manager Robert Wicks said: "We share James's disappointment that he is not racing but he has made absolutely the correct decision to withdraw from the races to give himself the maximum amount of time to heal in time for Snetterton in two week's time.

    "He would have been heavily compromised if he'd gone out on track this afternoon and I fully support what was a difficult decision to make. The team will be doing everything possible to help him back to full fitness. The team will not be fielding a replacement rider and I am sure James and his side of the garage will be doing everything to support Shakey."