2004 Kawasaki ZX6R
In keeping with its original concept of No.
1 performance on the circuit, for 2004, the
concept of the Ninja ZX-6RR diverges from that
of the street-use 6R, becoming even more race-oriented
than before. A series of engine and chassis
upgrades significantly enhance this lime green
racer's winning potential. The main differences
between the 04 Ninja ZX-6RR (ZX600M) and 03
Ninja ZX-6RR (ZX600K) can be described as follows:
- Increased Racing Potential:
- UPower boosting improvements include a new
cylinder head with bigger valves, hotter cams
and a new twin-injector fuel injection system.
These are backed by a host of detail modifications
that contribute to significantly increased
power output, particularly at high rpm.
- UTo better suit the machine for non-modified
stock racing classes, the transmission gets
closer ratios similar to those of the racing
kit transmission. UAlready rated as the top-handling
chassis on the track - thanks in part to the
class's only adjustable swingarm pivot - for
2004 the chassis benefits from feedback from
our team racing bikes. New settings for the
fork improve both damping and action, and
a new coating on the fork inner tubes reduces
friction for improved action when braking.
- Other updates:
- To complement the 04 6RR's racier performance,
the bike sports a matt-black frame and swingarm,
and a racy-looking lime-green drive chain.
Whether in stock or modified form, the new
Ninja ZX-6RR will be the machine to beat in
- The Ninja ZX-6RR's other key sales features
can be summarised as follows:
- Race-Oriented Handling Characteristics -
Other features that contribute to the Ninja
ZX-6RR's race performance include: track-oriented
riding position, adjustable swingarm pivot,
fully adjustable front and rear suspension,
and radial-mount front brake callipers.
- Racy Ninja Look - From the central Ram Air
duct to the aerodynamically shaped tail section,
the 6RR's predatory lines leave no doubt that
the middle-class Ninja was designed with racing
- Uprated, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve 599
cm3 In-Line Four engine delivers increased
performance, especially in the high rpm ranges.
- New cylinder head design uses squish-type
combustion chambers, larger valves and revised
intake ports. (Intake valves: + 0.5 mm)
- Improved twin-injector fuel injection system
uses a fine atomising injector for the main
injector and features a secondary injector
located in the airbox. The result is improved
cylinder filling, crisper throttle response
and higher power output.
- New breathing passageways in the cylinders
improve crankcase breathing and reduce pumping
- New intake and exhaust camshafts have higher
lift for more performance in the higher rpm
- New single valve springs suit the higher
lift cams; oval wire is used to realise a
short cylinder head.
- Valve spring retainers changed to lightweight
sintered aluminium to reduce reciprocating
- The piston crown shape was changed to suit
the revised combustion chambers, and a molybdenum
coating added to the piston skirts reduces
- Redesigned airbox has a removable duct which,
when removed, reduces intake resistance, contributing
to higher power output.
- The ratios for the oil and water pump gears
have been changed to reduce mechanical loss.
- New, close-ratio transmission has gear ratios
similar to that of the racing kit's transmission,
giving the new ZX-6RR even more race-winning
potential, right out of the crate.
- A new super-hard DLC coating (Diamond-Like
Carbon) has been added to the inner fork tubes
to reduce sliding friction and improve action,
especially during braking. This increased
surface hardness also helps to prevent scratches
and damage to the tubes.
- By moving the fork's main spring from the
top to the bottom and redesigning the oil
lock piece, fork action has been improved.
- New damping rates enhance road surface feedback
and fork action.
- The rear suspension's lower spring holder
is now electrostatic coated to prevent corrosion.
- All-aluminium perimeter frame offers exceptional
strength and torsional rigidity while delivering
responsive and stable handling performance.
- Forward-located swingarm pivot and long
swingarm give superb rear suspension action.
- Adjustable swingarm pivot allows racers
to adjust the chassis to their riding style
and to the prevailing track conditions.
- Centrally mounted Ram Air duct is integral
with the steering head. This simplified design
reduces weight and improves Ram Air efficiency.
It also allows the frontal area to be reduced
via a narrow, aerodynamically efficient front
- Extruded aluminium swingarm with internal
ribbing offers high stiffness and low weight.
- Steering head uses ball bearings for light,
responsive steering. Suspension
- Fully adjustable inverted front fork runs
stiff 41 mm tubes for high fork rigidity and
superior steering feedback.
- Race-developed Bottom-Link type Uni-Trak
rear suspension delivers a smooth ride and
excellent cornering performance.
- Nitrogen gas-charged rear shock with piggyback
reservoir is fully adjustable for rebound/compression
damping and preload.
- Both front and rear suspension are fitted
with top-out springs for stable suspension
performance. Because the top-out springs regulate
suspension elongation, the rider will also
experience less nose dive feel under heavy
braking after hard acceleration, as well as
greater stability when getting back on the
gas after hard braking.
- Radial-mounted, 4-piston front brake callipers
deliver exceptional feel and performance -
widely used in racing, the 03MY 6R and 6RR
were the first production bikes in their class
to feature this style of brake calliper. Four
independent brake pads are used - one for
each piston - for more even wear and improved
- Semi-floating, drilled, 280 mm stainless
steel front disc rotors are 6 mm thick for
high heat capacity and mount on disc carriers
without offset to reduce weight.
- Brake lever is 5-way adjustable.
- Small diameter rear brake disc measures
220 mm in diameter for low unsprung weight.
- Compact, lightweight rear brake calliper
mounts directly to the swingarm, negating
the need for an independent brake tie-rod.
- Lightweight front and rear wheels contribute
to low unsprung weight.
- Rear wheel features wide 5.5-inch rim. Front
rim measures 3.5 inches.
- High-spec front and rear tyres deliver exceptional
- Tyre sizes: Front: 120/65ZR17M/C (56W),
Rear: 180/55ZR17M/C (73W)
- A back-torque limiter fitted to the clutch
helps prevent wheel hop during quick deceleration.
- Riding position is track oriented. Handlebar,
seat and footpeg locations give an ideal position
for high performance riding. Ergonomically
shaped seat and tank allow rider to mould
himself to the bike.
- GP-style fairing gives the machine a distinctively
- Fairing offers a low drag coefficient for
- "Hungry" central Ram Air duct gives the
front of the bike a very aggressive look.
- Lightweight and very bright dual multi-reflector
- Swingarm-mounted inner fender looks cool
and keeps the rear suspension cleaner.
- Racing-style instrument panel features a
bar-type LCD tachometer, digital LCD speedometer,
an adjustable shift indicator lamp, and a
stopwatch-style lap timer - this in addition
to digital temp gauge, clock, tripmeter and
a comprehensive range of indicator lamps.
The shift indicator lamp has three settings:
Off, Low and Bright.
- New matt-black frame and swingarm enhance
the 6RR's racy look.
- Complementing the 04 Ninja ZX-6RR's racier
performance is a racy new lime-green drive
- Additional Features
- Extremely narrow included valve angle of
25° allows the fitting of large valves in
a compact, highly efficient combustion chamber.
- Large-bore 38 mm throttle bodies with dual
throttle valves deliver high engine performance
across the rev range. Sub-throttles ensure
smooth, linear power characteristics.
- Unchanged is the high speed, 32 bit CPU
which gives precise engine management under
racing conditions. Short, lightweight, plug-mounted
ignition coils are fitted, and 23 triggers
on the pulser rotor ensure precise ignition
- LED tail light is very light, highly compact
and very durable. It also looks exceptionally
- Tamper resistant ignition switch.
- MF-type battery simplifies periodic maintenance.
- Quick-detach rear seat allows easy mounting
of the single-seat cover.
- One-piece forged aluminium handlebars are
lightweight and are mounted in a rearward
position. Bars are gun-drilled for lightness.
- Lime Green
- Engine Type - Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke In-Line
- Displacement - 599 cm3
- Bore and Stroke - 67.0 x 42.5 mm
- Compression ratio - 13.5:1
- Valve system - DOHC, 16 valves
- Fuel system - Fuel injection: Ø 38 mm x
4 (Keihin), twin injection
- Ignition - Digital
- Starting - Electric
- Lubrication - Forced lubrication, wet sump
- Transmission - 6-speed, return
- Final drive - Sealed Chain
- Primary reduction ratio - 2.022 (89/44)
- Gear ratios: 1st - 2.714 (38/14), 2nd -
2.056 (37/18), 3rd - 1.722 (31/18), 4th -
1.500 (33/22), 5th - 1.333 (28/21), 6th -
- Final reduction ratio - 2.666 (40/15)
- Clutch - Wet multi-disc, manual
- Frame Type - Perimeter, pressed-aluminium
- Wheel travel: front - 120 mm, rear - 135
- Tyre: front - 120/65ZR17M/C (56W), rear
- 180/55ZR17M/C (73W)
- Caster (rake) - 24.5°
- Trail - 95 mm
- Steering angle (left/right) - 27° / 27°
- Front - Type41 mm inverted cartridge fork
with rebound and compression damping, spring
preload adjustability and top-out springs
- Rear - TypeBottom-Link Uni-Trak with gas-charged
shock, spring preload adjustability and top-out
- Compression damping - Stepless
- Rebound damping - Stepless
- Front Type Calliper - Dual semi-floating
280 mm discs Dual radial-mount, opposed 4-piston,
- Rear Type Calliper - Single 220 mm disc
- Overall length - 2,025 mm
- Overall width - 720 mm
- Overall height - 1,110 mm
- Wheelbase - 1,400 mm
- Ground clearance - 130 mm
- Seat height - 825 mm
- Dry weight - TBA
- Fuel capacity - 18 litres
- Maximum power - TBA
- Maximum power with Ram Air - TBA
- Maximum torque - TBA
- Price - £6850.00
The specifications mentioned here apply to
and have been achieved by production models
under standard operating conditions. We intend
only to give a fair description of the vehicle
and its performance capabilities but these
specifications may not apply to every machine
supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries,
Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications
without prior notice. Equipment illustrated
and specifications may vary to meet individual
markets. Available colours may vary by market.