2004 KTM 950
The 950 Adventure S, distinguishable by the
longer suspension travel, is a close copy of
the 950 Rally. In 2004 this special model will
come in the actual rally design to emphasize
the closeness to the sport also optically.
- 942cc twin cylinder.
- Short-stroke V engine with 75° cylinder
arrangement, compact with good handling characteristics.
- The LC8 engine is vertically divided in
order to arrange the crankshaft and both shafts
at different levels and save vehicle design
- In the V between the two cylinders, a "multi-functional
shaft" rotates in a space-saving arrangement.
- It carries two compensating weights, powers
the water pump and the centrifuges of the
engine case ventilation, and serves as idler
for the starter and both timing chains.
- The toothed chains each drive overhead camshafts
in the symmetrical (rotated by 180°) cylinder
- Optimal linear rpm movement for calculable
- Dry-sump lubrication system with a 3 litre
oil tank under the water cooler.
- Serial performance of 98 HS at 8000 rev./min,
95 Nm at 6000 rev./min.
- 2 x 43 mm constant pressure carburettor,
integrated in air box. Weight of LC8 engine?
- The engine weighs 58 kilos, approx. 20%
lighter than its competitors.
- Tthe low weight results from the intelligent
- Every components built to warrant best durability
and low weight.
- Eextremely robust, self-supporting pipe
frame made of chromiummolybdenum steel (round
- Total weight under 11 kg.
- Dry weight 198 kg, approx. 15 - 25% lighter
than class standard.
- Weight distribution is 50% front and 50%
- The low mounting of the engine (no oil pan)
and the positioning of the battery lead to
an extremely low centre of gravity and optimal
- Approx. 85% of the parts are identical (e.g.
frame), both motorcycles are made of absolutely
- As with the sports models, the White Power
PDS (Progressive Damping System) - a shock
absorber is directly mounted onto the swing
- The shock absorber with 230 resp. 265 mm
suspension travel is both adjustable in terms
of pressure (low and high-speed) as well as
- Adjustable pre-load adjustment using fold-out
adjusting button for quick setting if cycle
is loaded or two persons riding the motorcycle.
- The fork is a 48 mm USD White Power fork
with an "open cartridge" and 230 resp. 265
mm suspension travel, also adjustable rebound,
pressure and spring pre-load.
- The seat height of the 950 Adventure is
at 880 resp. 915 mm.
- The tank volume of the 950 Adventure is
approx. 22 litre.
- The range is - depending on driving behaviour
and terrain - between 350 and 400 kilometres.
- Centrally arranged, analogue tachometer
with multi-functional cockpit indicator: daily
kilometre counter, tank stop distance indicator,
total kilometre count, speed, time, low fuel
warning light, cooling water temperatures,
control lamps, trip master.
- Characteristic, extremely light and sturdy
front head lights (only 800 grams) with very
- Excellent for travel and tours and highly
suitable for off-road driving, low weight.
- Large, sturdy nylon tank, slim shape for
- Effective wind protection.
- Luggage rack, lockable tool box and additional
- Slim, handy, and agile - and with a comfortable
seat perfect for long trips.
- For suitable luggage system and more extras
see actual catalogue, Power Parts 2004.
- Tyre dimensions range from 21" up front
to 18" in the rear and warrant optimal off-road
ability and ground clearance.
- Standard off-road tyre sizes can be used.
- Serial equipment with specially developed
dual-purpose tyres for high-speeds.
- Each split tank half separately removable.
- For changing the air filter the tank does
not need to be dismounted.
- Easy oil level check, oil refill possible
- Engine - two-cylinder 4-stroke engine, V
- Displacement (cc) - 942
- Bore / stroke (mm) - 100 / 60
- Performance (homologated) - 72 kW / 8000
- Max. torque - 95 Nm / 6000 rpm
- Compression ratio - 11.5:1
- Starter - E-starter
- Transmission - 6 gears, dog-clutch engagement
- Carburetor - constant-pressure carburetor,
- Control - DOHC
- Lubrication - Pressure lubrication
- Engine oil - Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W-50
- Primary drive - 67:35
- Cooling - liquid-cooled
- Clutch - wet multi-disc clutch, operated
- Ignition - Denso battery ignition
- Frame - tubular chromoly space frame, power-coated
- Subframe - aluminum
- Handlebar - aluminum, conified
- Front suspension - WP-USD 48 MA
- Rear suspension - WP-PDS suspension strut
with hydr. spring preload
- Suspension travel, front/rear - 265 / 265
- Front brake - double disc, 300 mm
- Rear brake - single disc, 240 mm
- Rims, front/rear - 2.15 x 21" / 4.0 x 18"
- Tyres, front/rear - 90/90-21" ; 150/70-18"
- Transmission ratio - 17:42
- Chain - X-ring chain 5/8 x 1/4 "
- Battery - 12Ah
- Main silencer - 2 x premium steel
- Steering head angle - 26.6°
- Wheel caster - 119 mm
- Wheelbase - 1570 mm
- Ground clearance (unloaded) - 316 mm
- Seat height - 915 mm
- Fuel capacity - approx. 22 liters
- Weight (no fuel) - approx. 198 kg