2004 KTM 950
The flagship of the Adventure product group
is unquestionably the 950 Adventure/950 Adventure
S, which really lives up to its name. A true
"dual-purpose" motorcycle. This motorcycle combines
off-road ability and long distance travel comfort
in a way unseen by the world of motorcycles
before. It goes back to the roots of the expression
"Enduro" and at the same time redefines it.
Consequently, orientated at long distance competitions,
the motorcycle concept results in a concentration
of the essential. Attributes like reliable,
robust, lightweight, and mobile are logical
results of this combination.
After a successful launch, the 950 Adventure
will be available in three colours in 2004:
silver, orange, and brand-new in black. In addition
all models will be equipped with black anodised
- 942cc twin cylinder.
- Short-stroke V engine with 75° cylinder
arrangement, compact with good handling characteristics.
- The LC8 engine is vertically divided in
order to arrange the crankshaft and both shafts
at different levels and save vehicle design
- In the V between the two cylinders, a "multi-functional
shaft" rotates in a space-saving arrangement.
- It carries two compensating weights, powers
the water pump and the centrifuges of the
engine case ventilation, and serves as idler
for the starter and both timing chains.
- The toothed chains each drive overhead camshafts
in the symmetrical (rotated by 180°) cylinder
- Optimal linear rpm movement for calculable
- Dry-sump lubrication system with a 3 litre
oil tank under the water cooler.
- Serial performance of 98 HS at 8000 rev./min,
95 Nm at 6000 rev./min.
- 2 x 43 mm constant pressure carburettor,
integrated in air box.
- Weight of LC8 engine?
- the engine weighs 58 kilos, approx. 20%
lighter than its competitors.
- the low weight results from the intelligent
- every components built to warrant best durability
and low weight.
- extremely robust, self-supporting pipe frame
made of chromiummolybdenum steel (round pipes).
- total weight under 11 kg.
- Dry weight 198 kg, approx. 15 - 25% lighter
than class standard.
- Weight distribution is 50% front and 50%
- The low mounting of the engine (no oil pan)
and the positioning of the battery lead to
an extremely low centre of gravity and optimal
- Approx. 85% of the parts are identical (e.g.
frame), both motorcycles are made of absolutely
high-quality components. Suspension elements
/ seat height
- As with the sports models, the White Power
PDS (Progressive Damping System) - a shock
absorber is directly mounted onto the swing
- The shock absorber with 230 resp. 265 mm
suspension travel is both adjustable in terms
of pressure (low and high-speed) as well as
- Adjustable pre-load adjustment using fold-out
adjusting button for quick setting if cycle
is loaded or two persons riding the motorcycle.
- The fork is a 48 mm USD White Power fork
with an "open cartridge" and 230 resp. 265
mm suspension travel, also adjustable rebound,
pressure and spring pre-load.
- The seat height of the 950 Adventure is
at 880 resp. 915 mm.
- The tank volume of the 950 Adventure is
approx. 22 litre.
- The range is - depending on driving behaviour
and terrain - between 350 and 400 kilometres.
- Centrally arranged, analogue tachometer
with multi-functional cockpit indicator: daily
kilometre counter, tank stop distance indicator,
total kilometre count, speed, time, low fuel
warning light, cooling water temperatures,
control lamps, trip master.
- Characteristic, extremely light and sturdy
front head lights (only 800 grams) with very
- Excellent for travel and tours and highly
suitable for off-road driving, low weight.
- Large, sturdy nylon tank, slim shape for
- Effective wind protection.
- Luggage rack, lockable tool box and additional
- Slim, handy, and agile - and with a comfortable
seat perfect for long trips.
- For suitable luggage system and more extras
see actual catalogue, Power Parts 2004.
- Tyre dimensions range from 21" up front
to 18" in the rear and warrant optimal off-road
ability and ground clearance.
- Standard off-road tyre sizes can be used.
- Serial equipment with specially developed
dual-purpose tyres for high-speeds.
- Each split tank half separately removable.
- For changing the air filter the tank does
not need to be dismounted.
- Easy oil level check, oil refill possible
- Engine - two-cylinder 4-stroke engine, V
- Displacement (cc) - 942
- Bore / stroke (mm) - 100 / 60
- Performance (homologated) - 72 kW / 8000
- Max. torque - 95 Nm / 6000 rpm
- Compression ratio - 11.5:1
- Starter - E-starter
- Transmission - 6 gears, dog-clutch engagement
- Carburetor - constant-pressure carburetor,
- Control - DOHC
- Lubrication - Pressure lubrication
- Engine oil - Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W-50
- Primary drive - 67:35
- Cooling - liquid-cooled
- Clutch - wet multi-disc clutch, operated
- Ignition - Denso battery ignition
- Frame - tubular chromoly space frame, power-coated
- Subframe - aluminum
- Handlebar - aluminum, conified
- Front suspension - WP-USD 48 MA
- Rear suspension - WP-PDS suspension strut
with hydr. spring preload
- Suspension travel, front/rear - 230 / 230
- Front brake - double disc, 300 mm
- Rear brake - single disc, 240 mm
- Rims, front/rear - 2.15 x 21" / 4.0 x 18"
- Tyres, front/rear - 90/90-21" ; 150/70-18"
- Transmission ratio - 17:42
- Chain - X-ring chain 5/8 x 1/4 "
- Battery - 12Ah
- Main silencer - 2 x premium steel
- Steering head angle - 26.6°
- Wheel caster - 119 mm
- Wheelbase - 1570 mm
- Ground clearance (unloaded) - 281 mm
- Seat height - 880 mm
- Fuel capacity - approx. 22 liters
- Weight (no fuel) - approx. 198 kg