2004 KTM 990 Duke
An uncompromising motorcycle for the streets with
minimalist equipment, stronger than the common Naked
Bike Twins, ultra light and with a more aggressive,
more independent appearance. The 990 DUKE for street
use with the 75° fuel injection-V twincylinder LC8
engine. Planned series debut autumn 2004.
KTM definitely moves into the street motorcycle market
with this model, but not without remaining true to
the brand's philosophy: with clear-cut identity, groundbreaking
technology, and a sports-orientation which is already
found in the core segment of off-road motorcycles.
- The engine weighs 58 kg, approximately 20% lighter
than the competition.
- The low weight results from the intelligent engine
- Each component constructed from the viewpoint
of durability and low weight.
- Engine concept?
- Two cylinder, 999 cc displacement.
- Short stroke V-engine with 75° cylinder arrangement
- Electronic fuel injection.
- The LC8 engine is vertically split at different
levels for a spacesaving arrangement of the crankshaft
and the two shafts of the six gear transmission.
- A space-saving "Multifunction Shaft" rotates in
the V between the two cylinders, this supports two
counter weights, drives the water pump and the centrifuge
of the engine case vent, and serves as an idler
for the starter and the two timing chains.
- The gear chains drive in the symmetrical (turned
at 180° degrees) cylinder heads, each with 2 overhead
- A nearly linear torque curve for a predictable
- Dry sump lubrication with a 3-liter oil tank under
the water radiator.
- Series performance 122 hp at 9000 rpm, 99 Nm at
- 6-gear transmission gradation and cylinder heads
distinguish themselves from the Adventure version.
- Extremely robust, self-supporting, chromium molybdenum
tube frame (round tubes).
- Total weight under 9 kg.
- Dry weight 179 kg, at least 15% lighter than what
is typical for the class.
- Ready incl. fuel 195 kg.
- The weight distribution is 51% in the front and
49% in the rear.
- The low mounting of the engine (no oil pan) and
the positioning of the battery lead to an extremely
low centre of gravity and optimal handling.
- The tank volume of the 990 DUKE is around 15 litres.
- White Power shock absorber linked directly to
the swing arm.
- the shock absorber is both in pressure (high,
low speed) and in rebound and spring preload fully
adjustable and holds 160 mm suspension travel.
- The fork is a 48 mm White Power USD fork "Multi
Adjuster" with 135 mm suspension travel.
- The seat height of the 990 DUKE is just barely
over 850 mm.
- Centrally arranged, analogue tachometer and multifunctional
cockpit display: daily kilometre (mileage) counter,
tank stopdistance display, total kilometres (mileage),
speed, time, low fuel warning light, cooling temperature,
- Characteristic, extremely lightweight front headlight
(only 800 grams) with very high luminance factor.
- BREMBO radial hand brake cylinder with 320 mm
double disc and 4-piston Brembo brake calliper (with
4 brake pads) in the front.
- 240 mm rear wheel disc brake with single-piston
Brembo brake calliper.
- Wheel dimensions of 3.5" in the front and 5.5"
in the rear for guaranteed optimal handling.
- Tyres come into use standard with the dimensions
120/70-17" resp. 180/55-17".
All declarations apply to the 990 DUKE pre series
model, September 2003 stand, and are subject to technical
changes up to the series debut.
- Engine - 2-Cylinder, 4-Stroke, V 75°
- Displacement - 999,8 cc
- Bore x Stroke -101 x 62,4 mm
- Performance - 122 HP / 9000 rpm
- Max. torque - 99 Nm / 7000 rpm
- Compression ratio - 11,8 : 1
- Starter - E-starter
- Transmission - 6 gears, dog clutch engagement
- Fuel - 95 ROZ
- Mixture conditioning - Electronic fuel injection
- Control - DOHC
- Valve - spur-gear driven tooth-type chain
- Lubrication - Pressure circulation lubrication
- Engine oil - Motorex Power Synt 4T, SAE 10W-50
- Primary drive - 67 : 35
- Cooling - Liquid cooling
- Clutch - Wet multi-plate clutch, hydraulically
- Ignition - Denso battery ignition
- Spark plug - NGK DCPR 8 E
- Frame - Chromium molybdenum tubular space frame,
- Subframe - Aluminum
- Handlebar - Aluminum conified
- Suspension, front - WP-USD 48 Multi Adjuster
- Suspension, rear - WP- Multi Adjuster
- Suspension travel, front/rear - 135 / 160 mm
- Brake, front - Double disc Ø 320 mm
- Brake, rear - Disc Ø 240 mm
- Rim, front/rear - 3,5 x 17 " / 5,5 x 17"
- Tyre, front/rear - 120/70 - 17" / 180/55 - 17"
- Transmission ratio - 17:38
- Battery - 12 Ah
- Steering head angle - 66,5°
- Wheelcaster - 103 mm
- Wheelbase - 1438 mm
- Ground clearance (unloaded) - 165 mm
- Seat height (unloaded) - 855 mm
- Tank capacity - approx. 15 l
- Dry weight - approx. 179 kg
- Weight (ready to race) - approx. 195 kg