2004 Moto Guzzi Breva V1100
All that remains of the 90° V-Twin responsible for
writing motorcycling history is its name, all the
rest has been completely redesigned. The alternator
is new, so is its position; the oil sump is new; the
con rods are new and longer; the pistons are lighter,
reducing crankcase inertia and consequent vibrations.
From the rider's point of view, the output of the
Breva V 1100 engine is linear and progressive, partly
thanks to the electronic injection system with "stepper
motor" which guarantees consistently regular tick
over and easy starting in all conditions. It is also
in line with the strict Euro 3 standards. The double
spark plug ignition and new fuel injection system
with Pico injectors on the intake manifolds, improve
combustion while at the same time reducing emissions.
The most significant technological innovation is
the "cardano reattivo" (reactive shaft drive), patented
by Moto Guzzi with the name "CA.R.C." (compact reactive
shaft drive). The shaft drive is incorporated in the
aluminium alloy swingarm. The pinion and drive shaft
oscillate inside the swingarm and the drive shaft
has a double universal joint with built-in torsional
dampers to optimise the responsiveness of the transmission.
The distinctive characteristic of this original and
extremely compact system is elimination of the anti-shaft
effect normally caused by shaft drives. In addition,
in comparison with other systems, the Moto Guzzi patented
"cardano reattivo" (reactive shaft drive) enables
use of a monolithic swingarm. Finally, the reaction
rod is safer as it is not load-bearing. For the rider,
this means a consistently fluid ride without the "jerks"
during acceleration and throttle release typical of
shaft drives and with all the other advantages - cleanliness,
low noise levels and very low maintenance requirement.
The watchword behind the Breva V 1100 design is "ridability".
For its eclectic character, this bike must be quick
of the mark and responsive in city traffic, manoeuvrable
on winding roads and stable as a rock on straights.
These objectives have been achieved through meticulous
work on the mechanics, modifying the frame geometry
and suspension. Weight distribution, fundamental to
guarantee a natural ride, is ideal thanks to the positioning
of the engine - higher and nearer the front than the
traditional position. A feature which makes it "easy"
to go into bends and enables even the tallest rider
to take up an ergonomic position on the saddle.
The frame and swinging fork swingarm are ultra-rigid
and the rider of the Breva V 1100 is immediately in
complete harmony with the bike, whose behaviour is
predictable and always precise in all conditions.
The rear suspension is single arm with rising rate
linkages and works together with a single shock absorber
with hydraulic preload regulation for maximum riding
comfort and to adapt the set-up to a passenger or
luggage. The fork with 45 mm inners is extremely robust,
while responsiveness and safety during stopping are
guaranteed by a braking system with a double 320 mm
floating disc operated by a calliper with four opposed
pistons at the front and, at the back, a single 282
mm disc operated by a fixed calliper with two opposed
From the classical front headlight to the rear headlight
cluster with LED lights, the lines of the bike recall
the spirit of its origins, but interpreted in modern
key with balanced distribution of masses and the impression
of solidity and reliability typical of Moto Guzzi.
The fact that we are in the 21st century is also
confirmed by the "communicator" panel with active
matrix LCD display and designed to take optional "info-entertainment"
packages. You can also dialogue with the onboard computer
via handgrip controls without having to remove your
hands from the handlebar. For those wanting to exploit
the touring soul of the Breva V 1100 to the full,
an exclusive configuration is available including
side panniers co-ordinated with the design of the
bike and a practical windshield which deflects aerodynamic
turbulence away from the rider's torso, particularly
appreciated during longer journeys or when maintaining
a high cruising speed. For the most demanding, ABS
will also be available as an option. Those who hope
the road never ends will find the 24 litres tank capacity
- Engine Type - 90° V-Twin, 4 stroke
- Cooling system - Air cooled
- Displacement - 1,064 cc
- Bore and stroke - 92 x 80 mm
- Compression ratio - 9.8 : 1
- Timing system - 2 overhead valves moved by light
- Exhaust valve maximum lift - 106° B.T.D.C. of
- Inlet valve maximum lift - 104° A.T.D.C. of overlap
- Valve timing - With nominal working clearance;
Intake open 10° B.T.D.C., Intake close 38° A.B.D.C.,
Exhaust open 40° B.B.D.C., Exhaust close 8° A.T.D.C.
- Maximum power - 61.8 kW at 7,800 rpm
- Maximum torque - 86.5 Nm at 6,000 rpm
- Fuel system - Weber-Marelli electric injection
with stepper motor
- Starting system - Electric
- Ingition - Electronic digital ignition. Twin spark
- Exhaust system - Stainless steel exhaust system,
2 in 1, 3 ways catalyst with Lambda sensor, adjustable
muffler (Euro 3)
- Gears - 6 speed
- Internal ratios - 1° 17/38, 2° 20/34, 3° 23/31,
4° 26/29, 5° 31/30, 6° 29/25
- Lubrication - Splash lubrication
- Primary drive - Helical teeth, ratio 26/35
- Secondary drive - Cardano Reattivo; double universal
joint with floating bevel gear, ratio 9/33
- Clutch - Dry
- Frame - Detachable tubular cradle
- Wheelbase - 1,490 mm
- Trail - 120 mm
- Rake - 25°30'
- Front suspension - Fork with Ø 43 mm, preload
- Front wheel travel - 120 mm
- Rear suspension - Single arm suspension with progressive
linkage, rear shock adjustable in rebound and pre-load
- Rear wheel travel - 140 mm
- Front brake - Double stainless steel floating
disc, Ø 320 mm, 4 piston calipers
- Rear brake - Single steel disc, Ø 282 mm, 2 piston
- Rims - Three spokes light alloy wheels, chill
- Front rim - 3,50" x 17"
- Rear rim - 5,50" x 17"
- Front tyre - 120/70 17"
- Rear tyre - 180/55 17"
- Voltage - 12 V
- Battery - 12 V - 12 Ah
- Alternator - 12 V - 540 W
- Length - 2,130 mm
- Width - 810 mm
- Height - 1,310 mm
- Seat height - 800 mm
- Ground clearance - 185 mm
- Handlebar height - 1,071 mm
- Front footrest height - 377 mm
- Dry weight - 233 kg (with stand and windshield)
- Fuel tank capacity - 24 litres
- Reserve - 4 litres