2008 Honda XL700V Transalp
The New Adventure Sports Trailblazer
With its dynamic new Adventure Sports styling,
the all-new 2008 XL700V Transalp really sets the pace
for exhilarating riding enjoyment on every road you can
imagine. Powered by a new fuel-injected V-twin engine
that carries it down the road with impressive power and
confident cruising speed, the new Transalp strongly
reasserts its position as Europe’s most versatile midsized
motorcycle. Its cutting-edge style, strong, satisfying
performance and always inviting sense of adventure
make every ride a great escape and a time to remember.
The exciting new 2008 Transalp encourages you to
break down barriers to riding enjoyment and seek out all
the fun that lies just over the next horizon.
New Styling Features
• New-generation multi-purpose touring model features
new, more sporty and attractive design reminiscent of
the latest, most sophisticated outdoor gear.
• Aggressive new bodywork design and graphics give
emphasis to a stronger, more modern outdoor Adventure Sports image.
• Frontal area made more compact and sporty, with
narrower overall width.
• New air management design reduces emphasis on
wind protection in favour of an enhanced and relatively
comfortable wind feel.
• New, more compact front cowl and bikini windscreen
reduce blast of air to chest area.
• Holes through front cowl to under backside of screen
help lighten handling.
• Attractive, high-illumination over/under integrated
• New, more compact, functional and practical
• Fuel tank smaller, but riding range extended with
improved fuel economy. Features new flat hinged fuel
tank cap like Varadero.
• Seat area slimmer and more contoured for easier,
more comfortable reach to ground.
• Compact, newly designed exhaust reaches up from
the catalyser sub-chamber to under the side of
the pillion seat.
• New, more sleekly designed resin carrier rack with
comfortable built-in pillion hand grips wraps closely
around tail and integrated taillight.
• Protective moulded resin undercowl features more
• Graphics strongly evocative of a GPS readout design,
incorporating numbers that correspond to the highest
paved road in Europe: Col de la Bonette in
the southern French Alps.
• New Barley Yellow Metallic, Carnelian Red Metallic,
Anchor Grey Metallic and Moody Blue Metallic colour
variations with Pearl Concourse Black fuel tank and
Vernier Grey Metallic undercowl, front cowl trim and rear
• Black anodised aluminium wheel rims.
New Performance Features
• New, lighter and more powerful 680cc liquid-cooled
V-twin engine features 4-valve heads, new fuel injection
system and HECS3 oxygen-sensing catalytic low
• New engine provides optimum power delivery for
a wide range of riding conditions, including both
motorways and off-road capability while being easy to
control in all situations. Peak top-end power eschewed
in favour of a smooth and strong balance of performance.
• Lower maintenance, reduced running costs and full
EURO-3 emissions compliance.
• Frame, chassis and suspension components
essentially unchanged from the current model, however
overall size is more compact and riding position is lower
and easier to use.
• Exhaust system’s catalyser chamber located below
swingarm pivot for lower centre of gravity and enhanced
• Front tyre size reduced in size from 21" to 19" for
easier in-town riding control.
• New 130/80 radial rear tyre replaces earlier 120/90
bias-type for enhanced stability, especially in corners.
• Longer wheelbase and new tyres contribute to
smoother, more stable high-speed touring.
• New Combined-ABS version also available for
supreme confidence and control in on-road braking
Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve SOHC 52° Vtwin
Displacement - 680.2cm³
Bore x Stroke - 81 x 66mm
Compression Ratio - 10 : 1
Max. Power Output - 44.1kW / 7,750min-1 (95/1/EC)
Max. Torque - 60Nm / 5,500min-1 (95/1/EC)
Idling Speed - 1,200min-1
Oil Capacity - 2.9 litres
Carburation - PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
Throttle Bore - 40mm
Aircleaner - Viscous, cartridge-type paper filter
Fuel Tank Capacity - 17.5 litres (including 3-litre reserve)
Ignition System - Digital transistorised with electronic advance
Ignition Timing - 10° BTDC (idle) ~ 34.5° BTDC (7,750min-1)
Sparkplug Type - CPR8EA-9 (NGK); U24EPR9 (DENSO)
Starter - Electric
Battery Capacity - 12V / 11.2AH
ACG Output - 396W
Headlights - 12V, 55W x 1 (low) / 55W x 1 (high)
Clutch - Wet, multiplate with coil springs
Clutch Operation - Mechanical; cable-actuated
Transmission - 5-speed
Primary Reduction - 1.763 (67/38)
Gear Ratios - 2.500 (35/14),
2; 1.722 (31/18),
3; 1.333 (28/21),
4; 1.111 (30/27),
5; 0.961 (25/26)
Final Reduction - 3.133 (47/15)
Final Drive - O-ring sealed chain
Type - Semi-double-cradle; box-section steel tube
Dimensions - 2,250 x 905 x 1,305mm
Wheelbase - 1,515mm
Caster Angle - 28° 23'
Trail - 111mm
Turning Radius - 2m
Seat Height - 841mm
Ground Clearance - 177mm
Kerb Weight -
214kg (F: 101kg; R: 113kg), *219kg (F:103kg; R: 116kg)
Max. Carrying Capacity - 200kg
Loaded Weight - 369kg (F: 125kg; R: 244kg)
Type Front -
41mm leading-axle telescopic fork, 177mm
Pro-Link with adjustable compression
damping, 173mm axle travel
Type Front - Aluminium rim/wire spoke
Aluminium rim/Tangentially Located (TL)
Rim Size Front - 19M/C x MT2.15
Rear - 17M/C x MT3.50
Tyre Size Front - 100/90 R19M/C (57H)
Rear - 130/80 R17M/C (65H)
Tyre Pressure Front - 200kPa
Rear - 200kPa
Type Front -
256 x 4mm dual hydraulic disc with dualpiston
(*Combined three-piston) callipers
(*ABS) and sintered metal pads
240 x 6mm hydraulic disc with (*Combined)
single-piston calliper (*ABS) and resin mould
* Combined ABS version
All specifications are provisional and subject to change without notice.