2009 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
A summary of the main features of the BMW
R 1200 GS Adventure
• Even more dynamic drive and improved traction.
• Reworked transmission and short first gear
• Even more universal use through optional Enduro
• Reworked design emphasising the off-road and
world travel character.
• Perfect, tried and tested series equipment
for extreme tours.
• Colour options: Magnesium metallic matt, plain
• Special equipment and tailor-made accessories
in accordance with familiar BMW standards.
More powerful and better for off-road use
– the world-trip enduro in a new trim
With the new R 1200 GS Adventure, BMW Motorrad is
now presenting the third version of the ultimate long-distance
enduro for globetrotters and adventurers. The reworked
basic model was already characterised by a unique
mixture of sporty handling and suitability for touring
and off-road use. But the Adventure also wins hearts
and minds with improved performance and traction,
additional off-road qualities and a level of long-distance
comfort that has been further enhanced. These unique
qualities combine with the extensive range of series
equipment to make the new R 1200 GS Adventure suitable
for world trips the moment it leaves the factory.
In comparison with its predecessor (the R 1150 GS
the new model is entering the market with numerous
improvements and benefits from extensive new developments
that have also been introduced on the basic version.
More dynamic drive and improved traction
The new, even more dynamic drive of the R 1200 GS
Adventure outperforms the 1170cm3 engine of its predecessor
model, which provided confident propulsion in all
conditions. With 105HP of power at 7,000 rpm, a maximum
engine speed of 8,000 rpm, and an even broader engine
speed range, it provides the perfect characteristics
for confident driving whatever the conditions. This
is in line with the special demands that a world trip
enduro must meet.
Reworked transmission and short first gear
Like the basic R 1200 GS version, the R 1200 GS
Adventure puts its trust
in a completely reworked 6-gear transmission which,
with shortened transmission ratios and a shorter secondary
ratio, provides improved traction and acceleration.
Combined with the reworked engine, the R 1200 GS Adventure
is much more lively and dynamic in the upper half
of the engine speed range but still provides more
traction in the lower ranges.
With enlarged bearing diameters and improved shaft
distance, the completely revised six-gear transmission
takes account of the often extreme demands made of
a world-trip enduro. A shorter first gear is offered
for the R 1200 GS Adventure as a special option –
this provides additional advantages when riding over
very confined, difficult terrain.
Even more universal use via the optional
The frame of the R 1200 GS Adventure, which is factory
fitted with spring travel 20mm longer, also benefits
from the new Enduro ESA (available, as with the R
1200 GS, as a special option). This allows the springing
and shock absorption to be modified to all sorts of
different operating conditions and loads simply by
pressing a button.
With the additional electro-hydraulic adjustment
of the spring base at the front suspension strut,
the Enduro ESA also enhances the specific requirements
of a travel enduro. This provides greatly improved
impact safety during off-road travel without any of
the associated disadvantages on the road – such
as reduced negative spring travel or higher seat height.
The Enduro ESA distinguishes between various road
and off-road modes, within which the rider can also
make further modifications in line with specific requirements
by selecting particular springing and shock absorption
Revised design emphasizing the off-road
and world travel character
With its sturdy masculine persona and emphatic enduro
attributes, the new R 1200 GS Adventure continues
the successful design concept of its predecessor.
While the tank section has been carried over from
its predecessor without change, the upper mudguards
(at the front) have been designed. The modified fin
to the cooling air guide and the white LED rear light
and white indicators combine with the new colours
and surfaces to make the bike look even tougher.
Power and sportiness, dynamics and technical
elegance in equal measures characterise the R 1200
Adventure through a deliberate contrast between black
components and two new colour variants. Magnesium
metallic matt underlines the technical character of
the R 1200 GS Adventure, while a strong plain red
emphasises the sporting nature. The colour-coordinated
seat is another obvious difference from the basic
Tried and tested, perfect standard equipment
for extreme touring.
Compared with the basic R 1200 GS version, the R
1200 GS Adventure is appearing on the market with
the much expanded standard equipment taken over from
its predecessor model. Its 33 litre tank, for example,
allows the rider to drive for much longer stages.
At a speed of a constant 90 km/h, the theoretical
range is around 750 kilometers. In this way, the new
R 1200 GS Adventure can cover far greater distances
of its competitors.
On fast stretches, the windscreen of the new R 1200
GS Adventure deflects air flows past the rider largely
without any turbulence, thus effectively reducing
the burden on the head and upper body at high speeds
in particular. Additional specially shaped flaps attched
behind the windscreen also reduce drafts in
the lower back area. The angle of the windscreen can
be adjusted, providing outstanding wind and weather
protection for riders of all sizes.
Wide enduro footrests and adjustable levers for
the footbrake and gear shifts taken account of the
often changing requirements in off-road use in particular
and can be adjust both to personal driving styles
and habits, and to different styles of boots.
The rough conditions on long-distance trips and
over extreme terrain away from surfaced roads are
taken into consideration by the new, double-butted
handlebar in aluminium, which can be mounted in two
positions, depending on the intended purpose, and
new hand protectors, now mounted directly
on the handlebar.
As previously, a stable, sturdy pipe structure made
from high-grade steel protects the tank and frame
effectively from the consequences of accidental contact,
especially over land. In addition, high-quality aluminium
covers protect the valve covers against tough impacts.
As in the predecessor model, tough, practical luggage
fixing devices are provided by the spacious, stable
luggage bridge, made from high-grade steel, which
will also take the aluminium topcase, available on
The two-part bench seat, which can be adjusted to
two heights in the driver section, gives an optimum
seat position. In the upper position, at 915mm seat
height, it offers the rider the comfort of a continous
seat surface without level changes and allows the
necessary freedom of movement. In the lower position,
the seat height of 895mm gives good ground reach and
a stable postion. This is also supported by the special
design of the bench seat, which is particularly narrow
in the front part.
The main features of the new BMW R 1200
GS Adventure in comparison with the basic BMW R 1200
- 33-litre tank.
- Larger windscreen.
- Tank, engine and valve cover protection.
- High-grade steel luggage bridge.
- Adjustable bench seat with off-road ergnomics.
- Hand protectors.
- Longer spring travel for improved off-road suitability.
- Spoked wheels.
- Wide rider footrests, adjustable gear shift and
Equipment for the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Special equipment and special accessories
In line with its extremely broader diversity of
applications, a wide range of equipment, tailored
to the vehicle and specific customer requirements,
is available for the new R 1200 GS Adventure. Special
equipment is supplied factory fitted; and special
accessories are installed by BMW motorcycle dealerships.
- Enduro ESA.
- BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (partly integral by
- Off-road tyres (no extra cost).
- On-board computer including oil level warning.
- Theft alarm with remote control.
- Chromium-plated exhaust.
- Heated grips.
- Short first gear.
- Aluminium case luggage holder.
- Additional headlights.
- On-board computer.
Storage space programme
- Aluminium case.
- Luggage holder for aluminium case.
- Aluminium top case.
- Top case carrier.
- Back cushion for aluminium top case.
- Practical inside bag for aluminium suitcase and
- Carrying handle for aluminium case (for a single
case, or top case).
- Softbag Sport large, 51 l.*
- Softbag Sport small, 19 l.*
- Baggage roll 53 l, watertight.*
- Tank rucksack Adventure.
- Front wheel mudguard Carbon.*
- Splash protection rear Carbon.*
- Telelever and fork brace.*
- BMW badge for fork brace.*
- LED indicator lights.*/ **
- White indicator lights.*
- Sport silencer by Akrapovic ®.*
Ergonomics and comfort
- Handlebar cross strut.*
- Padding for handlebar cross strut.*
- Tinted windscreen.*
- Low driver seat (820 mm) black or grey.
- High driver seat, adjustable (915/895 mm) black
- LED light for onboard socket 410 mm.*
- Additional socket.*
- Heated grips.*/ **
Navigation and communication
- BMW Motorrad Navigator.*
- Holder for BMW Motorrad Navigator.
- Function Navigator Bag.*
- Large top spoiler for hand protection.*
- Cylinder protection.
- Heavy-duty enduro aluminium underbody protection.*
- Extra headlight.*
- Holder for extra headlight.
- Off-road protective shield (for off-road use
- Theft warning with remote control.*/ **
Maintenance and technology
- Paddock stand.*
- Set of on-board service tools.*
- Add-on on-board tools.*
- Safety screw, oil filler nozzle.*
- Emergency kit, cylinder head.*
* As for R 1200 GS.
** Also available ex factory as special equipment.
Technical data for the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
- Capacity cm3 - 1170
- Bore/lift mm - 101/73
- Power kW/PS - 77/105 at engine speed min–1
- Torque Nm - 115 at engine speed min–1 5
- Design - Boxer
- No. of cylinders - 2
- Compression/fuel - 12.0/S
- Valve/gas control - HC (high camshaft)
- Valves per cylinder - 4
- Diam. inlet/outlet mm - 36/31
- Throttle valve diameter mm - 47
- Mixture preparation - Electronic manifold injection
- Exhaust purification - Regulated three-way catalyst
- Generator W - 720
- Battery V/Ah - 12/14 maintenance-free
- Headlights W - H7
- Starter kW - 1,1
- Clutch - Single-disc dry coupling Ø 180
- Gears - dog-coupled six-gear transmission
- Primary transmission - 1,737
- Transmission, gear stages; I; 2,375, II; 1,646,
III; 1,296, IV; 1,065, V; 0,939, VI; 0,848
- Rear wheel drive - Cardan shaft
- Transmission - 2,91
- Frame - design Steel tubular frame, carrying
- Front wheel suspension - BMW Telelever
- Rear wheel suspension - BMW Paralever
- Spring travel front/rear mm - 210/220
- Castor mm - 97.6
- Wheel spacing mm - 1511
- Headset angle ° - 63,8
- Brakes - front; Double disc brake, Ø 305
mm, rear; Single disc brake Ø 265 mm
- If required: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (partly
integral, can be switched off)
- Wheels - Spoked wheel
- front; 2,5 x 19, rear; 4,0 x 17
- Tyres - front; 110/80 R 19, rear; 150/70 R 17
Dimensions and weights
- Total length mm - 2 250
- Total width with mirrors mm - 980
- Handlebar width without mirror mm - 950
- Seat height mm - 915/895
- Dry weight kg - 223
- DIN tare, full tank kg - 256
- Perm. total weight kg - 475
- Tank capacity l - 33
- Fuel consumption - 90 km/h l/100 km 4,6 120 km/h
l/100 km 6,1
- Acceleration, 0–100 - km/h s 3,9
- Maximum speed km/h - >200