2010 Honda CRF250R
The 2010 CRF250R is loaded with progressive
technology and ready to confirm its domination of
Supercross and Motocross tracks yet again. Its lightningquick
prowess and radical looks are matched with
a new fuel injection system, even more power, lighter
weight and smooth, easy handling characteristics.
Whether you’re out to thrash the
competition or just enjoy getting the best out of
yourself and your motorcycle, the CRF250R is the tool
to showcase your expertise.
Optimised mass centralisation and perfection
of machine equilibrium have allowed Honda to incorporate
a new single-muffler exhaust system, enabling a weight
saving of 850g. Other changes to the chassis and bodywork
increase stability and improve the ergonomics giving
an even smoother, more agile ride with enhanced control.
Tough yet smooth
New engine and transmission developments
have focused firmly on boosting power and durability
keeping weight to a minimum. Starting, acceleration,
cornering, traction and torque feel have all improved.
The front fork has been revised to feature a larger-diameter
48mm slide pipe that improves running performance
on rough roads. The rear suspension has had its weight
reduced and layout changed for better mass centralisation,
contributing to greatly improved dynamics. These changes,
in combination with the proven Honda Progressive Steering
Damper, deliver unbeatable handling through corners,
whoops, braking bumps and jumps.
The CRF250R continues to inherit the
race technologies pioneered by its big 450cc brother.
Its new fuel injection system is the same as the one
introduced on the 2009 CRF450R. A HRC settings kit
is also available, derived from the CRF450R original
but with settings adapted to 250R power characteristics.
Extreme Red (with White number plate
and side covers)
New for 2010
- New ultra-light battery-less fuel injection system
delivers enhanced performance, a wider, higher power
range and improved power delivery, as well as kickstart
- New fuel injection system automatically adjusts
fuel injection and ignition timing to optimal conditions,
maximising the engine’s potential in varying
- Indicator integrated with engine stop switch
shows any problem with the fuel injection system.
- New more durable piston material accommodates
increased power while keeping weight gain to
- Engine bore is decreased to 76.8mm for greater
- Compression ratio is changed from 13.0:1 to 13.2:1,
delivering more power.
- New straight cylinder head port facilitates more
efficient air intake and thus more power.
- New valve spring made of ultra-high-strength
material uses MotoGP technology to improve durability
and achieve higher rpm.
- Large-diameter throttle body (50mm) delivers
stronger power and enhanced performance across
the entire range.
- New, lighter crankcase wall saves weight by retaining
thickness only where it is needed and shaving
it off to a mere 2.0mm where extra strength is not
- Crankcase reed valve with horizontal layout allows
crankshaft to be moved down for a lower centre of
- New low-friction Kashima coating increases clutch
- New gear ratios enhance engine performance and
torque feel throughout all rpm ranges, while gear
strength has been improved in conjunction with stronger
- Revised gearbox layout increases distance between
main (input) and counter (output) shafts from 51.5
to 55mm, allowing for larger, tougher gear.
- Each component of the auto-decompression system
has been optimally set, the kick start ratio has
revised and PGM-FI has been adopted, all greatly
- New, more rigid crankshaft has been lowered by
10mm compared to conventional models, lowering
the engine’s centre of gravity.
- Revised geometry optimises front and rear mass
distribution for best balance and control.
- New Fifth-generation twin-spar aluminium frame
with modified dimensions and optimised lateral and
torsional stiffness is based on the CRF450R frame,
but with centre and lower spars tailored to match
CRF250R engine power.
- New frame incorporates lower engine mount position
and more rearward front axle position, resulting
in a lower centre of gravity, greater agility, easier
manoeuvring and a more planted front feel.
- New 29mm longer swingarm improves stability during
- New dimensions include slightly longer wheelbase
for improved traction during acceleration, balanced
by a smaller caster angle for better cornering.
- New single-muffler exhaust layout enables a weight
saving of 850g.
- New layout achieves mass centralisation and optimum
machine balance by positioning muffler forward and
keeping length to a minimum.
- New radiator increases radiation amount from
14.6 to 14.7 kW, providing better cooling in proportion
to engine power increase.
- Improved fuel consumption enables tank capacity
to be decreased (by 1.6L), thus facilitating more
weight savings and a more compact size which eases
- New plastic fuel pump module attached to bottom
face of plastic fuel tank responds directly to fuel
- New, lower fuel cap height facilitates smoother
movement along seat and greater rider comfort.
- New airbox makes removal and replacement of air
filter easier and incorporates funnel rather than
straight pipe for air intake, improving bottom and
- New 48mm front fork with larger 24mm cylinder
size and new fork oil provides smoother, more linear
damping and further improves controllability. Fork
offers 310mm of travel and 16-step rebound and
compression damping adjustability.
- Modified front fork outer tube shape provides
extra rigidity, while shorter spring length reduces
weight, both contributing to improved handling.
- Rear cushion sub-tank configuration has been
greatly revised to integrate damper case, resulting
a 100g weight reduction, while also avoiding possibility
of interference between rider’s foot and sub-tank.
- New wheel rim contour provides extra strength
to the wheel rim flange.
- New Revolutionary Ergonomics Design (RED) and
slimline CRF450R-based bodywork with smooth
surfaces improve riding position for easier, more
comfortable rider movement.
- New HRC settings kit, developed from long years
of racing experience, provides an easy-to-use
programming system with precise data for setting
up the machine to meet all race situations. Ignition
timing and fuel mapping settings can be uploaded
by connecting the motorcycle to a computer and following
simple step-by-step instructions. The system radically
simplifies the setup process and makes tuning accessible
to a wide spectrum of riders. Connection is simple
with only one connector and no need to remove the
- Powerful 249cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke 4-valve
Unicam engine produces optimal, easy-to-control
power across a wide rpm range.
- Lightweight and compact engine features specially
designed cylinder head area for improved power
delivery in all rpm ranges and lighter weight.
- Unicam valve train provides both the light weight
of a compact single-cam drive and an optimum
combustion chamber shape for maximum power at all
- Unicam valve train features a single carburised
camshaft directly actuating two titanium intake
The camshaft’s centre exhaust cam lobe actuates
two steel exhaust valves via a low-friction forked
- Forged slipper piston and rings rev quickly while
maintaining excellent cylinder sealing, high
compression ratio and high-rpm power.
- Ni-SiC (nickel-silicon-carbide) coating with
high wear resistance has been applied inside the
- Balancer shaft and lightweight balancer reduce
- Drum stop arm, drum stop arm spring and shift
cam are all designed to optimise shift feeling.
- Clutch cover and cylinder-head cover made of
magnesium for reduced engine weight.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates oil supply
to crankshaft, piston and valve train from clutch
transmission. This ensures a steady supply of cool
oil to the clutch and prevents clutch and transmission
material from contaminating the engine oil.
- Rugged eight-plate clutch provides ample surface
area to handle the engine’s massive torque,
carefully matched clutch springs provide a light
feel at the lever.
- Dual-axis, double-taper swingarm design integrates
a large cast aluminium cross-member.
- Rear wheel features a thin wall axle, contributing
to light weight.
- Front and rear wheels feature lightweight HRC
Works type aluminium spoke nipples for reduced
- Front fork inner cartridge is treated with Kashima
coating for a smoother surface, reducing friction
of piston and inner cartridge and improving functionality.
- Compact and lightweight Honda Progressive Steering
Damper (HPSD), developed by Team Honda,
improves cornering ability and reduces rider fatigue.
HPSD features a compact and rugged hydraulic
damper attached between the steering head and the
lower triple-clamp to augment more aggressive
steering characteristics and assist straight-line
handling. The damper’s progressive damping
smoothly increases with handlebar deflection, which
produces very natural steering characteristics and
- Pro-Link rear suspension system features a single
fully adjustable Showa rear damper with 320mm of
wheel travel, separate low-speed (13-step) and highspeed
(3.5 turns) compression damping adjusters and 17-step
- Large 50mm-diameter rear damper piston performs
consistently under demanding riding conditions.
- Link-type front brake master cylinder and lightweight
brake rotor combine to provide strong braking control.
- Compact dual-piston front brake caliper, anodised
aluminium brake pistons and lightweight front brake
rotor minimise unsprung weight for improved turning
- HRC Works-type rear brake system integrates the
rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating
conventional external reservoir and hose.
- Front and rear brake discs and disc covers are
designed for low weight.
- Frame design allows larger intake ducts in airbox
sidecovers, contributing to excellent airflow in
and upper rpm ranges.
- Pirelli Scorpion MX Mid-Soft 32 front and rear
tyres provide superior traction and cornering feel.
- Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and
caliper from damage.
- Removable rear sub-frame allows easy maintenance.
- Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality
- Stainless steel clutch cable for maximum durability.
- Cleated rear brake pedal and folding shift lever
constructed in lightweight aluminium and designed
complement the riding position. Brake pedal features
optimised ratio to match integrated rear-brake master
- Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are selfcleaning,
corrosion-resistant, provide excellent grip
and fold away for extra ground clearance.
- Works-type handlebar design features long, tapered
cushions and deep pre-cut wire grooves for tight,
slipfree wire grip.