2010 Honda CRF450R
The CRF450R is a dominating presence
in Supercross, motocross, desert, endurance, flat-track
Supermoto where it continues to bring even the toughest
competition to its knees. Relentlessly striving for
more speed, more control, more reliability, more power
and more performance, it combines these with light
weight and effortless manoeuvrability.
The best balance of front and rear
tyres enables great acceleration performance. Its
slim and light proportions
feature finely-honed aerodynamics for bullet-like
aerial projection, and a low centre of gravity for
easy control in the air. Inertia feel is minimised
for a sensation of expert handling. Torque feeling
everywhere and overall performance is fast, slick
and exhilarating. For 2010, to keep its riders out
small but effective changes to the engine and suspension
systems achieve even better balance and control. The
CRF flag is still flying high where it belongs –
at the pinnacle of motocross achievement!
- Extreme Red (with White number plate, side covers
and rear fender)
New for 2010
- New ECU programming and new FI settings improve
off-on throttle response when exiting corners for
- New engine auto decompressor system with revised
decomp pin shape and optimal decompressor weight
spring rate enables easier kick starting.
- New front fork oil seal, oil quantity and valving
contribute to improved plant feel and follow bumps
- Rear damper features redesigned piston and compression
adjuster to improve damping character
for an easier ride and stronger acceleration over
- Air filter now has two attachment tabs for secure
- New connecting system for HRC FI setting tool
uses only one coupler and eliminates need to remove
- Advanced 4-stroke 4-valve Unicam engine churns
out 41.5kW of power at 8,500rpm and 50.3Nm of
torque at 7,000rpm. Power is produced across a broad
rpm-band for smooth, easy operation.
- Powerful, liquid-cooled 449.7cc engine pumps
out nearly 92.3kW per litre with legendary simplicity
- Lightweight, battery-less fuel injection/ignition
system delivers optimal power over a wide, high
range as well as kick-start capability.
- Fuel injection indicator integrated with engine
stop switch shows pre-race conditions of the fuel
- Fuel injection system features automatic settings
that deliver the same engine character and driveability
in differing altitudes.
- High fuel efficiency allows use of compact and
lightweight fuel tank.
- Thin-walled crankcase casting reduces wall thickness,
keeping weight to a minimum.
- Large-diameter throttle body (50mm) delivers
impressive power and performance across the entire
- Innovative Unicam valve train provides both the
light weight of a compact single-cam drive and an
optimum combustion chamber shape for maximum power
at all engine speeds.
- Unicam valve train features a single carburized
camshaft directly actuating two 36mm titanium intake
valves. The auto decompressor system executes valvelifting
by causing the decomp pin that is built into
the camshaft to push the single rocker arm. This
contributes to the overall compactness and light
of the design by integrating decompressor and camshaft
- Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use
of smaller valve springs, reduce overall engine
contribute to mass centralisation.
- Forged slipper piston is lighter than conventional
designs, for quick-revving response while maintaining
excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
- Lightweight Ni-SiC cylinder lining ensures cool,
quiet operation for extended engine life.
- Auto decompression system makes starting easy
in all conditions.
- Plastic fuel pump module attached to bottom face
of plastic fuel tank responds directly to fuel pressure
and is placed to concentrate mass on motorcycle’s
centre of gravity.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates oil supply
to crankshaft, piston and valve train from clutch
transmission. This enables a reduction of the oil
pump size and the amount of circulating oil. It
also prevents clutch and transmission material from
contaminating engine oil.
- Exhaust and muffler design achieves low weight,
optimal pipe length for the engine and contributes
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration while
also driving the water pump.
- Eight-plate clutch provides ample surface area
to handle the engine’s massive torque, while
matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the
- 5th generation twin-spar aluminium frame is lightweight
and provides optimal rigidity for better
- Slim frame shape features rounded lower parts
for extra ground clearance.
- Revolutionary Ergonomics Design creates open
and ‘easy’ ride position. Flat seat
to tank area and small
tank cap size allow the rider to move from front
to rear easily. Sleek, narrow profile from radiator
shroud to air box to side panel gives a smooth ride.
- KYB rear damper and front fork give plush overall
feel and better control.
- Relatively long swingarm, low centre of gravity
and wide rear tyre enhance acceleration and traction.
- Low mass centralisation gives a highly controlled
ride feel and makes jumping and manoeuvring in the
- Rear frame design incorporates easy under-seat
access to air filter.
- Wheels feature HRC Works-type aluminium spoke
nipples for low unsprung weight.
- Front and rear wheel axles are engineered for
light weight and better rigidity.
- Lightweight, and compliant 48mm inverted fork
offers 310mm of suspension stroke, and 16-step
rebound and 18-step compression damping adjustability.
Front fork outer-tubes receive Kashima coating for
- Fully adjustable rear damper provides 320mm of
wheel travel, 18-step low-speed and 1.5-turn highspeed
compression and 20-step rebound damping.
- Large 50mm-cylinder-diameter rear damper cushion
provides consistent performance under demanding
- Compact dual-piston front brake caliper and disc
are designed for light weight.
- Link-type front brake master cylinder provides
strong braking control in combination with a lightweight
- HRC Works-type rear brake system integrates the
rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating
conventional external reservoir and hose.
- Large, Works-style 240mm front and rear disc
- Frame design allows large air intake ducts in
the side covers, enabling significant air flow in
the mid and upperrpm ranges.
- A HRC settings tool is available, providing an
easy-touse programming system with precise data
for setting up the machine to meet all race situations.
Ignition timing and fuel mapping settings can be
uploaded by connecting the motorcycle to a computer
and following simple step-by-step instructions.
The system radically simplifies the setup process,
making tuning accessible to a wide range of riders.
- Unique lightweight and compact Honda Progressive
Steering Damper (HPSD), developed by Team Honda,
improves cornering ability and reduces rider fatigue.
More aggressive steering characteristics are
augmented while straight-line stability is assisted.
The damper’s progressive damping action smoothly
increases with handlebar deflection, while producing
very natural steering characteristics and feel.
- Brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight
aluminium and designed to complement the riding
position. Brake pedal features optimised ratio to
match integrated rear-brake master cylinder design.
- Adjustable front brake lever for maximum control.
- Quick-adjust clutch perch for easy cable adjustment.
- Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are selfcleaning,
corrosion-resistant, provide excellent grip and
fold for extra ground clearance.
- Rubber-mounted Aluminium Renthal 971 bend handlebar
reduces rider fatigue and improves comfort.
- Grip design features tapered cushions and deep
precut wire grooves for tighter, slip-free wire
- Handlebar holders provide two different mounting
positions to match rider preference.
- Pirelli SCORPION MX Mid Soft 32 tyres provide
improved traction and cornering feel.
- Front disc brake cover helps to protect rotor
and caliper from damage.
- Removable rear sub-frame allows easy maintenance.
- Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal
engine protection and easy maintenance.
- Re-packable titanium silencer for maximum performance
and minimal noise.
- Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality
- Stainless steel clutch cable for long-life operation.
- Textured seat sides for extra grip.
- Slim, aggressively styled plastics allow easy
rider movement and feature Honda Racing-inspired