2010 Honda CRF450X
The dynamic, electric-start CRF450X
takes off-road riding to exhilarating peaks of fun
winning hearts and minds while dominating such worldrenowned
off-road endurance races as the Baja 1000.
Based on Honda’s phenomenal CRF450R big-bore
4- stroke motocross racer, the CRF450X features breathtaking
power, a slim, easy-to-ride form and rugged, longtravel
suspension systems augmented by
a revolutionary new development: the Honda Progressive
Steering Damper (HPSD), which eases control and smoothes
handling in cornering and over rugged terrain. For
the best that off-road riding has to offer, look to
the amazing CRF450X.
- Extreme Red (with White number plate and sidecovers)
Features and Benefits
- Lightweight and compact new Honda Progressive
Steering Damper (HPSD) developed by Team
Honda for improved cornering ability and reduced
- New front fork triple-clamps feature 22mm offset
and revised front axle placement for improved fork
action and cornering characteristics.
- New Works-style front and rear brake rotors reduce
- New Dunlop 742FA front tyre for improved turning
feel and traction.
- New narrow-design fuel tank and seat for improved
- Carburettor features new accelerator pump and
linkage for improved throttle response.
- New lighter and more compact engine decompression
- Push-button electric start system for easy start-ups
in all conditions.
- Large 7.2-litre fuel tank capacity.
- Resettable, easy-to-read three-digit competition
- Exhaust emissions comply with all local regulations
for off-road motorcycles.
- Spark arrester-equipped silencer complies with
all local fire and noise regulations.
- Powerful 35-watt halogen headlight provides a
wide range of illumination.
- Eye-catching LED taillight integrated into rear
- Convenient sidestand integrated into left foot-peg
bracket can be easily removed for competitive off-road
- Smooth-shifting wide-ratio 5-speed transmission.
- Suspension and chassis tuned for competitive
offroad riding needs.
- 18" rear wheel provides enhanced protection
against flat tyres.
- T-ring sealed chain is narrower, stronger and
lighter compared to conventional O-ring chains.
- Skid-plate and engine guards feature a unique
- Powerful liquid-cooled, electric-start 449cm³
4-stroke 4-valve Unicam engine is designed to produce
power across a wide rpm band for easy-to-control
- Compact, lightweight engine assembly weighs only
- Innovative Honda Unicam valve train provides
both the light weight of a compact single-cam design
and an optimum combustion chamber shape for maximum
power at all engine rpm.
- Unicam valve train features a single carburised
camshaft directly actuating two 35mm titanium intake
valves. The camshaft’s centre exhaust lobe
actuates two 30mm steel exhaust valves via a forked,
low-friction, roller rocker-arm.
- Electric starter drives the clutch side of the
crankshaft to provide superior lubrication of starter
gears, and produce a narrow engine with a short,
- Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use
of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine
- ACG cover, clutch cover and cylinder head cover
are made of magnesium to reduce engine weight.
- Forged 12 : 1 compression slipper piston is lighter
than conventional designs, for quick-revving response
while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and
- Lightweight NiCaSil cylinder lining ensures cooler
and quieter operation for extended engine life.
- 40mm Keihin FCR-type carburettor features four
rollers on the flat slide, resulting in very light
throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle
response and excellent rideability.
- Carburettor features a throttle position sensor
(TPS) that helps maintain linear throttle response
throughout the rpm range.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates oil supply
to crankshaft, piston and valve train from supply
to clutch and transmission. This ensures a steady
supply of cool oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch
and transmission material contamination of the engine
oil, reduces the amount of circulating oil and permits
the use of a smaller oil pump.
- Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless steel
exhaust header and silencer equipped with spark
- Dual radiators feature a refined core area for
improved heat dissipation compared to conventional
dual-radiator designs. Coolant recovery tank is
located underneath engine for improved mass centralisation.
Coolant tank is protected by a plastic skid-plate.
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives
the water pump. Eight-plate clutch provide the surface
area necessary to handle the engine’s massive
torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide
a light feel at the lever.
- T-ring-sealed chain is approximately 1.6mm narrower
and stronger compared to conventional chains.
- Durable and versatile 5-speed wide-ratio transmission.
- Advanced fourth-generation twin-spar aluminium
- HPSD features a compact damper attached to the
lower triple-clamp and the steering head to augment
more aggressive steering characteristics and assist
straight-line handling. Tuned specifically for higher
speed, non-motocross, off-road riding applications,
the CRF450X damper incorporates different valving
and settings compared to units mounted on motocross
models. HPSD provides confident straight-line control
at high speeds, a planted feel in corners, less
rider fatigue and outstanding handling over a wider
variety of terrain and riding conditions.
- Semi-double-cradle frame design features a single,
large-diameter tapered down-tube for optimised frame
rigidity, with two rugged box-section rails attached
to its base to support the engine. A forged aluminium
steering head provides a compact and extremely durable
mount for the frame spars and engine down-tube.
- Lightweight 47mm Showa inverted twin-chamber
cartridge-type fork with aluminium dampers is derived
from the CRF450R and features settings unique to
the CRF450X. The fork offers 315mm of travel, 16-step
rebound and 16-step compression damping adjustability.
The inner surfaces of the front fork outer
tubes receive the same honing treatment as Works
bikes for low-friction operation.
- Pro-Link rear suspension system features single,
fully adjustable Showa rear damper with newly revised
damper settings and 313mm of wheel travel, separate
low-speed (13-step) and high-speed (3.5-turn)
compression damping adjusters, and 17-step adjustable
- Large 50mm rear damper piston diameter provides
consistent performance under demanding riding
- Swingarm features a dual-axis, double-taper design
with a large cast aluminium cross-member offering
high strength and light weight.
- Front wheel features large-diameter front axle
and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
- 18" rear wheel features same lightweight
rear hub and HRC Works-type lightweight aluminium
spoke nipples as used on CRF450R for reduced unsprung
- Large 25mm diameter rear axle and large-diameter
bearings provide optimum rigidity and strength to
withstand torturous track conditions.
- Compact dual-piston front brake calliper, anodised
aluminium brake pistons and lightweight front brake
rotor minimise unsprung weight for improved turning
- HRC Works-type rear brake system integrates the
rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating
the need for a remote master cylinder reservoir
and hose assembly.
- Large 240mm Works-type front and rear brake rotors.
- All plastic body components (including radiator
shroud, side covers, rear fender, seat base, fuel
front fender, and front headlight) designed for
slim, aggressive styling and lighter weight.
- Rider ergonomics optimised by adapting handlebar,
seat and footpeg height to place rider’s legs
at frame’s narrowest frame width for improved
comfort and handling feel.
- Seat cushion uses foam construction that follows
the shape of the fuel tank, providing a smooth transition
to increase rider mobility and comfort.
- Rear brake pedal and shift lever made of lightweight
aluminium and designed to complement the riding
position. Brake pedal features optimised ratio to
match integrated rear brake master cylinder design.
- Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are selfcleaning,
corrosion-resistant, provide excellent grip and
fold for extra ground clearance.
- Aluminium Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubbermounted
to reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
- Handlebar holders provide two different mounting
positions to match rider preference.
- Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
- Adjustable front brake lever.
- Hot-start lever conveniently located on clutch
- Quick-adjust clutch perch.
- Chain guide material offers improved wear resistance,
with service life five times greater than conventional
- Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and
calliper from damage.
- Removable rear sub-frame allows easy maintenance.
- Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality
- Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
- Honda Racing-inspired colours and graphics.