848cc 4 Cylinder Touring Motorcycle
The Wilkinson-TMC was produced y the famous
Wilkinson Sword Company and was one of the finest
machines built before the First World War. The
first Wilkinson four was exhibited at the 1909
Stanley Show and the production continued until
war time restrictions brought the line to its
end in 1916.
The machine was originally designed as a military
scouting model by P G Tacchi, who was granted
patent rights in 1908. The machine, mounting
a Maxim gun, did not impress the authorities
and Wilkinson carried on with a luxury touring
version. Originally air-cooled, the engine was
redesigned as a water-cooled unit in 1911 and
the machine was given the designation Touring
The power until returned after the war in the
December car but the motorcycle was a casualty
of the war.
Water-cooled four cylinder side valve 848cc
No front brake, twin drum rear brake pedal
Fully sprung with quarter elliptic rear springs.
Saxon front forks with horizontal spring and
bell crank levers