c1950 BSA 650cc Model A10 Golden
BSA announced the Model A10 in October 1950
and whilst the engine was simliar in appearance
to the early A7, it was in fact a new design
of 650cc capacity. The cylinder head casting
included the induction manifold and the rocker
box was in one piece. Nine studs secured the
barrel, new design tappets ran directly in holes
machined in the barrel and the pistons were
of silicon alloy with flexible sjirts.
The A10, called the Golden Flash from its colour
scheme, was an immediate success and was initially
available as rigid frame (until 1951) or plunger
Lack of rear damping meant that the plunger
frame provided less precise handling than did
the rigid version and for 1955 a pivoted fork
rear suspension became available.
Engine - 70 x 84mm = 646cc BSA vertical
twin OHV. Fully enclosed valve gear, single
gear driven camshaft, dry sump lubrication.
Amal carburettor. Separate Lucas magneto and
Power - 35bhp @ 5500 rpm
Weight - 408 lbs
Price new - £213.00