AA BSA B40 1961 Motorcycle
The AA was formed early in 1900 to defend motorists
who were being persecuted by the police acting
on the instructions of mostly horsey local authorities.
With an overall speed limit of 20mph in force,
police set up traps by hiding in hedges andtiming
motorists over a measured distance with a stop
The AA were issued with mototcycles in 1910
and as their duties widened to helping motorists
in trouble with breakdowns, by 1920 they were
mounted on sidecar outfits with a box sidecar
containing spare petrol and a wide range of
tools. Serous breakdowns required recovery vehicles
and the patrols became involved with erecting
road signs to help cope with increased traffic.
Mini vans took over to carry the quantities
of traffic signs and the familar box sidecar
Because of traffic congestion a number of solo
motorcycles were again employed, being fited
with radio equipment as used by police motorcyclists.
They were mostly used for dealing with traffic
problems, this time assisting the police in
the execution of their duty.
The AA solo machines like this went into service
in 1961 mostly in the greater London area. It
is a version of the popular civilian B40 model,
essentially an enlarged C15, but us fitted with
a high output alternator electric generator
to power the radio equipment. The generous protective
fairing and windscreen is an Avon glass fibre
product and the panniers contain extra batteries
and a compact tool kit and first aid outfit.
By 1972 more powerful 500cc and 750cc Triumph
twin machines as used by police patrols, were
used by the AA for Flying Squad duties particularly
for going to the aid of lone women motorists.