GoogleCustom Search

Motorcycle Insurance Questions

MOT Questions | Legal Questions | License Questions | Insurance Questions

Q - I recently purchased a Honda Fireblade Category C write-off which I am repairing. Should I tell my insurers that it's a Category C and what would happen if I make a claim?

A - Most insurers will not have any issues with its write-off status, as long as the bike has been repaired to comply with construction and use regulations. If the bike remains standard then you should not see an increase in premiums but you should be open and declare it to your insurance company. If a bike is written off it value will be reduced by 10-15%.

Q -Should I tell my insurance company if I have any aftermarket accessories fitted?

A - It depends on the modification but it always better to declare than not, otherwise you may not be insured in the event of a claim. Insurance companies operate on the principle of 'good faith'. Modifications such as exhaust, performance air filter or any performance enhancements should always be notified.

Q -Will I get charged more if I use my bike for commuting?

A - Not usually but some insurers offer discounts for low mileage policies, you may get 25% off for less than 2000 miles per annum. When getting a quote ask for a quote for high and low mileage to compare.

Q -Can I insure more than one bike on my policy?

A - Yes but you will have to shop around and specifically ask, not all insurers offer this.

Q -If I have more than one rider on my policy can I cover both my bikes?

A - Usually no. If it is a multibike policy then you are only allowed one rider, which is the policyholder.

Q - Do I need to disclose any car accidents when insuring my motorcycle?

A - In a word YES. If yo udo not diclose it and subsequently claim then your insurance will be null and void.

Q - What is a total loss clause?

A - A clause in an insurance policy where the insurer can cancel the policy after they have paid out following a write-off. Not all insurers have such a policy.

Q - Following a recent bike accident the insurance company wrote-off my bike. However, I would like to buy the bike back from the insurance company and repair the bike myself. Is this possible?

A - When a bike is written-off, it is grouped into one of fouur categories, A, B, C or D. If it is category C or D you stand a chance of getting the bike back to repair yourself. However, category A and B cannot be repaired. You should contact the insurance company and express an interest when you submit the claim form.

Q - Following a bike accident, my insurer appointed a solicitor miles from where I live and I have heard nothing from them. I would prefer to use a bike-specialist solicitor much more local to where I live, where do I stand?

A - You have freedom of choice to instruct a solicitor of your choosing and cannot be restricted to the solicitor appointed by your insurance company.

Q - My mate and I swapped bikes for a recent ride-out but unfortunately my mate (on my bike) crashed into the back of me at a pedestrian crossing, am I insured?

A - You are covered third party only providing you have fully comprehensive cover but this only covers damage to a third party. As your mate was riding your bike and it was his fault, ironically, the insurance will only cover the damage to his bike. Providing he was negligent, you can sue him in the small claims court.

Q - I have just sold my bike and don't intend to ride for another 12 months, what happens to my no claims bonus?

A - It is valid for a period of 2 years from the time your policy lapsed. You should also ask for the proof as you will need it when you want to insure your next bike.

Q - I recently had my bike stolen but because I wasn't the registered keeper and the bike was nicked from my rear garden when I told the insurance company the bike was garaged, they have refused to pay out. Where do I stand?

A - An insurance policy is a contract of good faith between you and the insurance company. They have to provide cover based on the information you provide to them over the phone, if the information is false, misleading or untre then they are within their rights in refusing to pay out. Obviously, they do not have time to visit every customer a nd verify the information.

Q - Can I insure my trackday bike for theft?

A - Your bike will have to be taxed and tested but you can opt for a 'daytime MOT', thus you will not have to fit lights. You must have a horn that omits a continuous sound (it must be electric), you don't even require a rear reflector, however, make sure you state you wish to have a daytime MOT prior to the test. The certificate will then be stamped daytime use only.

Q - How old does a bike have to be before it is a classic, I would like to take advantage of the classic policies out there?

A - There are different definitions of the word 'classic' accross the insurance market, it pays to shop around and get several different quotes. Some Companies define a classic to be 15 years and some 20 years. Classic policies can be good value if your useage is limited and you only use it to go to shows and rallies. Excesses can be as low as £50. However, check the policy for mileage limitation and whether the bike has to be garaged, the policy will also probably not allow commuting. A classic policy may also not accrue no claims bonus.

Q - I don't have a motorcycle at the moment but plan on buying one soon, who can I arrange insurance with so I am insured when test riding a bike?

A - As far as we are aware, no one offers such insurance, you could ask the garage or if it is a private seller, to add you to their policy for the test.